Monday, April 11, 2011

Booooooobs

I've been wanting to mention my breastfeeding experience, but I feel like it requires it's own post.

For as long as I can remember, I had been excited to get pregnant, (besides for obvious reasons) "so my boobs will get bigger".  Anyone who has ever seen me can understand that.  During my pregnancy, I thought "YES! the time has come".  I listened to pregnant friends tell me that they're already up 2 bra sizes at 6 months pregnant.  I was so excited, waiting for my new boobs to arrive...and waiting...  Nope.  I wore the same 'ol A-cup bras during my entire pregnancy.  Towards the end, my belly stuck out so far past my boobs that I looked like a pregnant little boy.  Even the *very limited amt* of XS maternity clothes were too big in the boobage.  I'm not gonna lie, many times I questioned whether or not I'd even be able to breastfeed.  My poor baby was going to starve.

After Gwen was born, I realized that breastfeeding is one of the most unnatural natural things in the world.  I didn't know what the hell I was doing, Gwen didn't know what the hell she was doing, but we were going to figure it out together.  By the time we left the hospital we actually felt pretty good about it.  Well, except for the excruciating pain and the fact that by the time I finished feeding, it was just about time to feed again (babies always lose weight in the first couple of days until mom's milk comes in, and once it does you have to feed on-demand furiously trying to get her back up to her birth weight by the 2 week Dr appointment).  Well holy crap, remember what I said before about thinking Gwen would starve?  Boy, was I wrong.  By her 2 week appointment she was over a pound heavier than when she left the hospital.  I was thrilled because seriously, it was hard work!  In the first 2 months, I fed her for over 208 hours! (don't think I'm weird, I have an app on my phone that kept track)  That's over FIVE FULL WORK WEEKS of just constant feeding in a 2 month period.  What the shit.  No wonder my nipples felt like they had been scraped against concrete and I winced in pain every time she latched on.  *note: Anyone reading this who is planning on BFing or has just started, I swear, it gets a lot less painful (actually, painless) after the first 3 weeks.*

We had one big setback very early on, where we gave her a pacifier after we had run out of ideas to stop her from crying (which worked), but after that it was like she literally forgot how to breastfeed.  The dreaded Nipple Confusion: contrary to what Gwen's pediatrician told us, most certainly DOES exist.  I spent hours trying to teach her again from scratch.  Luckily, by the next day we were back in business.

As challenging as it was in the beginning, I can say that I'm truly happy we chose to breastfeed her.  I say "we" because I know it would've been much more difficult if it wasn't for Justin's encouragement.  He has been an awesome and much needed support system throughout, and I doubt I could've stuck with it without him.  During the weeks that he took off of work, he was up at night with us for every single feeding so he could change her diaper.  It's funny, but I don't think I even changed one of her diapers for the first 2 days of her life because Justin took charge of it since he (obviously) couldn't help with the feeding.

I'm still exclusively breastfeeding Gwen now, which I'm very proud of because I know that even though it was a challenge in the beginning, it's the best thing for her.  It's amazing to me that she is growing so fast solely off of what my body produces for her.  Most of all, I love the fact that I get to look down at these eyes, while they look up at me.

6 comments:

  1. Lauren! I love this post! Go breastfeeding mamas! Luna was 8lb14oz at birth and would not latch on for the first three days. Doing a home birth left just us two alone with all the frustration to deal with it on our own. Travis too did all the changes and just tried to keep my motivation up. By day 4 she had lost a full pound and I was devastated. My pediatrician assured me she was a big baby and there was nothing to worry about, she would eat when she was ready and to just keep it up. In Ina May's Breastfeeding book (great read) she talks about an earthquake in Mexico City I believe where on day seven they were still pulling dead bodies from the wreckage, but on day ten they pulled newborns from the hospital rubble alive and well. Nature gives their little organs what they need to stay alive for at least ten days?!? crazy. Later that day Luna latched like a champ and woke up feeding furiously, she gained back that pound that she lost in FOUR DAYS. The doctor was amused and I just felt relieved, I had worked so hard to get her back up to where she was. I thought breastfeeding was going to be easy too (I went from a small B to a D) and was surprised when the first few days were not perfect (and SO painful!). Your analogy of concrete is dead on! Have you breastfed in public? its very daunting and empowering - and of course I'm classy and keep us cleverly concealed in style :)

    I am so glad you are still exclusively breastfeeding and again thanks for writing about this subject. x's and o's to you and Gwen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and yes that's the worlds longest comment and yes I'm breastfeeding as I type this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    ooooooooooooo
    lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brooke - I'm so glad that everything ended up working out, even with a little glitch in the beginning. It's funny how easy it is now, in the beginning, I didn't think it'd ever get the this point.
    The most public place I've breastfed (besides for in a parking lot in my car), was on the LI Ferry. I had my coverup and I figured that the people around me could just deal with it because my baby was hungry :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that breastfeeding worked out for you! Nick's brother's girlfriend just had a baby and is having alot of trouble, I'm going to share your story with her...and is it a coincidence that the last time I posted a comment the "word" I had to type was "acupp"??

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha that is definitely a coincidence! Definitely pass my story along, it helps to know that it's not supposed to be "easy". I think that sometimes people expect that, and then get frustrated when they're having a hard time with it. Also, I heard that APNO (all purpose nipple ointment) is supposed to be the best cream out there and help a lot - you need a prescription for it though. Good luck to her!

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics