Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Sweet potatoes for my sweet potato

We started solids...yaaaay!  At Gwen's 4 month visit, her pediatrician told me that we could start at any point between 4 and 6 months.  I was caught off guard because anything I had read or heard said to wait until 6 months, especially for breastfed babies.  In the last week or so, Gwen seemed to be showing me signs that she was ready to start solids.  She didnt seem as satisfied with nursing alone, she started waking up earlier for her middle of the night feeding, and it just felt like it was time.  I found a great website: Wholesome Baby Food  that helped us decide not to use rice cereal as her first food (which seems to be the norm).  We decided to start her on sweet potatoes.  I have been wanting to make my own baby food, but I wasn't sure how it would go over, so while I was at Whole Foods last week, I picked up a package of organic sweet potatoes from Sprout Baby Food (I was pleased to see that the only ingredient listed was "organic sweet potatoes").  I'm not sure if she actually swallowed anything on her first attempt, but we wanted to keep it a positive experience, so we didn't push it.  Then yesterday morning she ate the entire amount I gave her!  Given that positive reinforcement, last night I broke out the immersion blender that Kristen gave us, and whipped up some organic sweet potato baby food of my own - it was actually really easy!!  I fed it to her this morning and of course she barely ate any hah!  I have determined that it had to do with the fact that I didn't mix in any liquid (of course it couldn't be my cooking that she didn't like).  So tonight I mixed in some breast milk to thin it out a bit and we'll see how it goes over tomorrow.



she wanted to feed herself :)

Here's a video of her eating and talking - don't judge me, it's hard to feed her and record it at the same time :)

4 comments:

  1. Loved this, she is just so cute! Glad to hear the feeding is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck making your own food. She cracks me up pounding on the table. :) She looks so much like Justin!

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics