Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Preschool!

Before we moved, Gwen was registered at an adorable little preschool that she was super excited about attending.  I did my research and was thrilled with our decision.  But after our move, that school is too far away so we had to start our search again from scratch.  We found a beautiful school with very well-educated teachers, and a great sense of community and family involvement.  Another huge plus is that it's only 5 minutes from the house and directly across from the ocean which gives it a nice atmosphere (and a nice little place to visit after school).

Orientation day was September 3rd.  There was a lot of build up to it and we almost didn't end up making it.  But after a quick trip to Urgent Care for an infected scrape, we got there just in the nick of time!  All four of us went around to each classroom and met the teachers and other families.

The following day was her first real day of school, and again there was a lot of build up and excitement.  Gwen was SO ready that when I dropped her off (half expecting to hang around for a few minutes and watch), she turned to me and said: "Mom, aren't you going to leave?" "yes, Gwen I am." "now?"  I took that as my cue and walked out feeling super proud and happy to have raised such a well-adjusted daughter.  Three hours later, Nathan, Nana and I all went to pick her up.  She walked out of her classroom and had a little tear.  When she saw us she just broke down and started crying.  After watching her for a few weeks, I think she was just very overwhelmed that day and when she saw us, needed to release.  Since then, about half the time she doesn't want me to leave her in the morning and she'll tell me that she doesn't like school, but every pickup has gone great with her smiling and telling me what a great day she had.  Fingers crossed that drop off will be a happy occasion soon.  It seems to me now that she is starting to get to know and really like the teachers and other students so I'm happy with how things are going and I think she'll do really well there.

at Urgent Care the morning of orientation

but we still made it in time!!

no time for a 1st day of school pic, lets go mom!

Gwen is thrilled to be at the same school as Emerson
(the daughter of my friend from college!)

big girls, ready for their first day!



3 comments:

  1. hi. I just commented on your post RE Gwen's 1st birthday. she's definitely even cute-r :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! Yay! So happy to hear it went well even if she was overwhelmed at first. So glad you found a great place :)

      Delete

Real Time Web Analytics