Monday, January 30, 2012

Which way to the gym?

How have I managed almost a year of blogging without writing a post on fitness?

It's been in the back of my mind, but I guess I just needed to organize my thoughts.  Since I've documented Gwen's first year, I feel like I can now talk about other non-Gwen things on here as well.  Well, I guess it's somewhat Gwen-related because I really have been wanting to talk about my prenatal workouts; HOW IMPORTANT they were and how much of a difference I feel that they made.  I wish I had blogged during my pregnancy, but oh well, next time right?

Some background info for anyone who doesn't know; in my former [pre-baby] life, fitness was my thang. And by that, I mean my job.  My degree is in Exercise Science, I'm a certified Personal Trainer, and I worked in the Corporate Fitness industry for 8 years as a personal trainer, group fitness instructor, and manager.  So basically, I got to "work out all day".  Not really, but try working in the fitness industry without hearing that comment every day of your life.
Anyway, early on I realized that lifting weights is 10 million times more enjoyable to me than anything cardio-related.  I chose my major because when I ran track in college (ironic, I know), my favorite part of our practices was the weight lifting.  My workouts have always consisted of mostly strength and interval training.

Post-baby I was fortunate to lose my baby weight rather quickly, however, I know that some of it was muscle loss.  I stopped working out just before Christmas, and Gwen was born 1/9/11.  Since then, I haven't been as diligent as I could've been about working out, but Gwen and I joined a Yoga class, and we went walking a lot.  I finally joined a gym in the fall, but I'm still struggling to find a schedule that works for me.
Because of the inconsistency with my current workouts, I truly believe that I wouldn't have been as successful with my weight loss if I hadn't taken care of myself during my pregnancy.

Stay tuned - I will be dedicating a few upcoming posts to pre and postnatal info and exercises!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics